Thursday, June 28, 2007

Subway: Eat Fraud?

Last night, while watching TV, we saw a Subway commercial advertising their new "Super Stuffed" sandwiches and I said, "mmmm, that looks good. I'll have to try that." So today, when I was hungry and had an hour to kill between assignments, I went to Subway. The sign said, "Turn your favorite sandwich into a Super Stuffed sandwich for just $2," so I ordered a Super Stuffed Subway Club. ($4.19 + $2.00 = $6.19) Before the girl even begins putting the sandwich together, she says, "You know that'll be $7.99, right?"

Now I'm not the kind of person who makes a stink over this sort of thing... but come on. How stupid do I look? (On second thought, don't answer that.) So I pointed out to her that the Subway Club is $4.19 and the sign says that I can turn any sandwich into a Super Stuffed for just $2.00 more. The fine print only adds the definition of Super Stuffed - triple meat and a special bread. She tells me that she was told to sell the "custom" Super Stuffed sandwiches for $7.99. By this time, there were four people in line behind me, and of course she was the only sandwich builder in the store for the dinner rush, if there is such a thing at Subway. I hate being that guy. You know which guy I'm talking about, the guy who holds up the line over $1.80. But come on. That's nearly 30% of the price of my sandwich!

She tells me again that this is the price her boss gave her, so I ask to speak with her boss, at which point she says, "Well I hope I don't get in trouble, but that is what the sign says so I'll give it to you for $6.19." I now wonder if she was pocketing $1.80 on every Super Stuffed sandwich she sold. Regardless, I got my sandwich... and let me be the first to tell you that even their Super Stuffed subs are less than, well, stuffed. At least it tasted good.

No comments: