Friday, May 11, 2007

Lousy Day

As far as images were concerned, today stunk. My first job was supposed to be the return of a local man after he sailed around the world. For whatever reason, the time I was given was just for the interview and a portrait shoot, not his actual arrival at port. I thought I was going out on a boat to follow him back in. That's what it said on my assignment sheet, anyway. So it was a disappointment to learn that he'd already been back for hours when I went to photograph him. Ah well.

My second job was the preparation of a prom after-party. It actually wasn't all that bad, as some of the parents from the school's PTSA went all out, redecorating the school as a South Beach night club. I think one of them was an interior designer of some sort, because it really was impressive. That's the assignment that today's photos are from.


My final job was supposed to be my best of the day, a woman who is a terminal cancer patient, who was given a day of beauty and gifts from many area businesses so that she could enjoy Mother's Day. But when I showed up, they weren't expecting me. Apparently she wasn't well enough to be there today. What a shame. I hope she's doing okay. What bothers me, though, is that the reporter was told much earlier in the day that she wasn't feeling well enough to be there, and even told the salon that he would cancel the photographer... and somehow that message never made it to me. That kind of thing is inexcusable in a profession where so much depends on quick and accurate communication, and that's why I'm upset.

Tomorrow should be fun. Monmouth Park is opening for the season... and I'm being sent there to get every aspect of the horseracing, except for the horseracing. Apparently none of the races are all too intriguing, so they want more featurish kinds of images. At least the weather's supposed to cooperate. We'll see what happens.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: