Tuesday, July 17, 2007

All Hail the Queen!

No... Not that queen. Queen Latifah was in Newark promoting her new movie, "Hairspray," and the NJPAC (Performing Arts Center) rolled out the red carpet for her and some of her castmates. They also honored her by giving her a plaque on their NJ Walk of Fame.


It was a mad house, a mish-mosh of press, paparazzi, security, VIP's and fans. And I need to get something off my chest. I hate paparazzi. No, hate isn't strong enough. I loathe them. Let's be honest with ourselves for a minute here... This wasn't all that big an event. The real premier was last night in Manhattan, and "Hairspray" stars John Travolta and Christopher Walken didn't even show up tonight, yet these guys were all elbows and vulgarity. For who? Queen Latifah and Amanda Bynes? Come on... But wait, it gets even better!

Before any of the stars showed up I had the distinct displeasure of waiting along the red carpet with these barbarians. Every other word out of their mouths was unnecessarily inappropriate. "What's taking them so f***ing long?" "We have to stand where? F***!" ... You get the idea. And it only got worse once the stars arrived. That's right, I said worse!

The gimmick was that Latifah and all the other cast members were to arrive via NJ Transit's Light Rail at the NJPAC station. So as they deboarded the train, they just stood there, milling around the station. Well in stead of using their brains or skill to make the best images they could, these talentless ass-donkeys just started spewing profanities at the celebrities. "Get the f*** out of our way! We can't see the f***in' Queen!" And, to make matters worse, it must've been contagious. I'm embarrassed to say I even caught myself screaming for them to look my way once or twice. (Profanity-free, of course.) And then we wonder why people hate photographers.

Once I started screaming, I knew it was time for a change, so I left our pen and roamed, which proved much better for making images. I'm pretty sure the image above is the one that's gonna run tomorrow, and it was made after my departure from Hell.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Here are a few more images from the event.

No comments: