Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Press Conference

It's tough to make photos at a press conference. Especially one as lightly-attended as the one I had to shoot this afternoon. Nine or so politicians gathered at the front of the room to complain about funding being taken away. I'm sure it was very important and all, but I guess my paper was the only one that thought so because the room was basically empty. I was there, the reporter I was working with was there, the Senator's PR woman was shooting with a point-and-shoot camera, and there were two other gentlemen with cameras, too, though I'm not sure who they were shooting for. Not exactly the turnout the politicos were expecting, I'm sure. So with nothing (and no one) in the room to photograph other than the talking heads up front, I actually wandered out of the room to make a frame I liked.





The other frame I made was one of these two aforementioned photographers. He was wearing a very loud shirt, considering the business attire of everyone else in the room.





But that was it. Other than the obligatory "head shots" I turned in (of which I'll spare you), there was nothing going on. No one getting particularly passionate, no faces in the audience, nothing. Gotta love the loud shirts that sometimes come to the rescue... If not for the story (it'll never run in the paper) then at least for my sanity as a photographer.

No comments: